Saturday, June 20, 2009

Precious time and this summer

I had made plans to make sure all my student loans were payed back by mid October. I started out working five nights a week. I've been working so hard-I don't think my body had time to catch up with me. Last Saturday I came down with a horrible headache. My throat was also swollen-making it hard to breath and swallow. I was also achey and weak. Day two brought on a sore throat. I got a blessing from my brother in law Dave which helped me with a decision I had to make. A few days later came a cough, which has lasted accomanied by losing my voice. Before last night, there were at least two nights where I was waking up a lot at night coughing. I tried cough drops and gum. The cough drops were somewhat effective. Last night Kris suggested I try some over the counter cough medicine. I picked up some Day-quil multi symptom relief and viola! My coughing is no longer so dry and I'm able to clear my lungs! Last night I didn't wake up until 4am! This ride of feeling sick has caused me to think more about my lifestyle. I was so serious about having my loans payed off quickly before, but I have calmed down a little. Stopping to smell the roses comes to mind. The point is that if I overwork myself so much I could end up calling in sick anyway and I'd be worse off than when I started. I've already informed my work that I will be cutting back for next month. I'm changing my lifestyle to one that is more layed back.

1 comment:

Sue said...

Night shifts are hard, both mentally and physically. When I first graduated, I was working on the Orthopedic floor at LDSH. We would work 2 weeks of days and then 2 wks. of night. I had a nurse for a room-mate and we often just passed in the morning or at night. It was hard, but I did it for a year. Then, I moved to Labor and Delivery and I don't remember how the shifts worked, but I worked 3-11 and 11-7 shifts. I did some days, too, but that was mostly for people who had been there for a long time. I found that if I didn't try to have a daytime life when I was working nights, it worked better. It was hard on dating life though. But after I got married and had kids, nights actually worked pretty good. The hardest shift at that time in my life was 3-11. I would drop off the kids at the baby sitter and then not get home until about midnight. I would stay up for a couple of hours, winding down and then sleep in. Dana and I scarcely saw each other and that wasn't good for our marriage. Nursing is a great profession, but shift work and weekends and holidays is the downside to it. Good luck with your job and I hope you can get your kitty back soon. Sue